One very important thing we learned from our first year at Lunabotics was testing is absolutely imperative. And so just yesterday, we finished our scale Lunarena for testing our robot. Our regolith is our own custom recipe =]. We mostly used ultra fine sand but we also mixed in small rocks and concrete mix to try and better mimic the lunar regolith simulant.
In the first picture, Nick and Stan are arguing if we have enough sand. Time to make some bets!!!
In the next picture is a bucket full of our rocks and concrete mix.
Following that picture, we have Nick pouring that bucket into the pit.
We had a little spill so we went to pick up our tiny dustpan. When we lifted it up, we saw just how much dust we had settle onto the ground. It reminded us of how much dust covered our lunabot last year after the practice round. I think our mixture is getting pretty close to lunar regolith simulant.
Now that’s a very fine looking scale LunArena!! looks like we had enough sand after all! And it looks like Stan owes nick a sandwich!!
Stan’s checking the collection bin height. Testing wouldn’t be worthwhile if we didn’t make the bin right!
And last but not least, Nick made a joke about how much dust we were all covered in. Looks like we can turn the collection bin into a bathtub.
Good luck to all teams!! We’ll see you all in less than 38 days!!!